Saturday, September 12, 2009

Road Trip!

Last weekend was Labor Day weekend and Conor and I sort of made a spur of the moment decision to head to Austin for the long weekend. This was Emma's first trip out of town and she did a fantastic job. On the way up to Austin, we stopped in Columbus, which is about an hour outside of Houston, and grabbed a bite to eat, as did Emma. She did great the rest of the way up to Austin. We really didn't have any plans once we got to Austin. We relaxed at the hotel, which was across the river from downtown, and had the opportunity to see the Austin triathalon on Monday morning from our hotel window. We ate at some of our favorite restaurants, Polvo's and Trudy's (one Mexican and one Tex-Mex, both with great ritas), and walked around downtown and South Congress (which is an uber-hip part of town these days). Austin is not the same town of my college days. So much has changed, new buildings have gone up all over the place, it's become much more trendy than before. When I started school there in 1995, it was a college town, plain and simple. And while I appreciate development, it's hard to be nostalgic whenever I go back, it's so much more bittersweet for me. When I go back, I think of all of the lifelong friends I made there, what a wonderful school I attended, and what an amazing town I lived in a decade ago. And now, I am able to go back with my daughter, and walk around the same streets I did as a 19 year old trying to figure it all out, as every college student does. On the way back, we stopped at the outlet mall in San Marcos (of course) and did some shopping, then headed home. Since it was Labor Day Monday, we hit horrible traffic on the way into town, but Emma was awesome almost the entire way. I ended up sitting in the back seat for part of the way with her due to some fussiness, but once I sat with her, we had a great time. Here's to the first of many wonderful family trips to be had and memories to be made!

About to hit the road!


Hanging out at Polvo's. They have THE best seasoned chicken fajitas. If you are ever in Austin, you have to check it out. The ritas aren't half bad either...


Just 20 years and 7 more months to go little one!




Margaritas, chubby cheeks... what more do you need?


A guacamole-lovin child after her parents' own hearts...



Hanging out at the shops on South Congress...


So serious sometimes... she has alot on her mind. 


Emma + glass balls = ??????



She really did love this glass ball tree...


In Armenian, "toosh" means cheek, which is what my dad and I call her sometimes. 


Walking around an antique store, comfy in momma's arms...


Big Top Candy Shop on South Congress. Oh what a wonderful store it was...


Emma and the candy store. Let's hope she doesn't inherit her mommy's sweet tooth. 



2 comments:

  1. I hope to be in your shoes by this time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad to be a part of your memories of Austin! Fall 1995*Kinsolving = priceless! - jamee

    ReplyDelete